Accessing servers remotely to establish a secure connection with a remote machine, especially when you are not having physical access to your server.
Client and server architecture is used to establish a remote connection allow you to gain access to your servers remotely to manage files transfer and many more operations.
In this step by step guide, we will learn “How to Connect to Server via SSH”.
Before connection establishment with your server, there are a few basic requirements to meet:
- The server must be turned on at all times and have a fast network connection.
- You need to install plus enabled SSH client & server applications.
- You need the IP address or the hostname of the server you want to connect to.
- Allow the remote connection from Firewall settings.
What is SSH?
- Secure shell, which is also referred to as Secure Socket Shell, is a protocol that allows you to securely log onto remote systems or a server.
- After a secure SSH connection is established, a shell session will be started, and you will be able to manipulate the server by using commands.
How to Connect to Server via SSH(Linux Server)
Note: Here, it is assumed that you have already installed SSH on Client and Server both. If not, please install SSH on the Client and Server before continuing further.
By following the below steps learn how to connect to the LINUX server via SSH from Windows/Linux Client.
- Open the Windows Power Shell terminal and run the following command and hit Enter.
- If it is the first time you are connecting to a server for the first time, you will be asked to authenticate the host. Just type yes and hit Enter. After this, an ECDSA key fingerprint is now added to the list of known hosts, and your connection to the remote server will be established.
- Enter your password to continue.
Note: Your password will not be shown here doesn’t matter you are typing it or doing copy paste.
- Now you can control your server using your terminal.
[username@cloud ~]# //Enter your commands to continue
- If login fails after entering your password, please check the following:
- IP address of the server is correct or not
- SSH port is not blocked by a firewall, and it’s listening on the port.
- Your username and password are correct.
- SSH client & server is enabled properly.
How to Connect to Windows Server via RDP
- RDP stands for Remote Desktop Protocol is used to manage and control Windows Server machines remotely.
- RDP provides a user with GUI through which you can gain access to a remote server just like your local machine/PC.
Steps to Connect Servers via RDP
Note: Here, it is assumed that you have already Enabled RDP on the server-side. If not, please enable RDP on Server before continuing further.
- Open Remote Desktop app from your Windows Based PC
- Click Start and type RDP and open it
- Enter your IP or hostname of the server in the text box and click Connect.
- After entering IP or Host name of the server, you will be prompted to authorised the connection.
- Click the check box “Don’t ask me again for connections to this computer” and Click Yes.
- A pop-up windows will appear. Click More Choices –> Use Different Account and enter your username and password of the server as shown and click OK
- For successful login, you will be redirected to your Windows Server Desktop screen.
You may like
- How to Enable SSH Access for Clients or Users
- How to change link color in WordPress?
- How to Display Breadcrumb Navigation Links in WordPress?
- How to Add Expires Headers To Your WordPress Website?
- How to Remove WordPress Version Number?
- How to Change Background Color in WordPress?
- How to Redirect your 404 pages to the Home Page in WordPress?
- How to Edit wp-config.php File in WordPress?